Sunday, June 19, 2011

Father's Day

Well, Father's Day number 4 is officially in the books and as I get older (and obviously the little runts that have actually made this an official day for me) the "holiday" gathers much more meaning.

Kari inadvertently gave me an early Father's Day gift on Friday upon arriving home from school. It was a rubber hammer. Little does she know that is more suited to her mother's needs than me, but the thought was still what counts.

We got home this afternoon from a brief Witherspoon family reunion. It was great to spend time with all of the little (some not so little anymore) girls and Bryce. But the best part was getting home and just spending some time with Kari.

We made chocolate chip cookies (with sprinkles, of course) for our dessert. Gran and Beep Beep ventured to West Lafayette to join us for the Father's Day dinner. Kari still has her moments, but when she is calmed down and focused, it's truly a blessing to get to spend time with her.

She wanted to crack the eggs and measure the flour. She wanted to dump in the chocolate chips and taste the dough asap. But she never got too worked up and took her time measuring things with great precision.

Saturday Kari finished a shower and asked Grandmo Haugstad "Do I look familiar to you?". "Yes, you do," grandmo said giggling. "OK, I just got out of the shower and wanted to see if I still look familiar..."

It has made me chuckle, too, having heard that and many of the other crazy things that come out of her mouth. But the older Kari and Bryce get, the more familiar I'm becoming with what a great day Father's Day really is. So, to all of you Fathers out there including Beep Beep - thanks for all you do, have done and will continue to do.

And thanks to Kari and Bryce for giving me the chance to be their Daddy.

KK

No comments:

Post a Comment