Sunday, October 2, 2011

Tiny Dancer

 Well, I have no idea whether Kari will ultimately find dance to be her "thing" but this morning in church it was most definitely present. She, along with her high school buddy named Allie, performed at the "Celebration Service", our church's contemporary/kid friendly gathering.

Not having seen the dance in practice situations, I eagerly awaited little Kari's first scripted performance in front of an audience. Let's not kid ourselves, she doesn't mind hamming it up at birthday parties or family gatherings... but this was different. Roughly 75 people in attendance. Just two people on the stage. And Kari had responsibility.

I loved that when I asked her before hand if she was nervous or ready she looked at me as if to say "Dad, seriously, I've got this!" Sure enough, I'll let you be the judge by watching the video.


While I held the video camera I'd be lying if I said my eyes didn't well up. Maybe it was the type of song/dance, with it being a slower tune than I anticipated. Maybe it was the fact that so many people in the audience seemed to be enjoying it, too. Or maybe it was just pure pride of my little girl doing something so neat with absolutely no grasp that 150 eyeballs were watching her.

Allie did great, too, and obviously was a wonderful teacher to Kari. They have formed a neat little bond and I think that came through during the dance.

OK, enough of sentimental poppa talking. It was long week for me being gone 5 days and 4 nights for work. So in the end, I couldn't think of a better way to start the upcoming week than to see Kari do so great this morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment