Friday, March 15, 2013

Declarations of Love

In the age of Facebook, Twitter and other social media, I'm decidedly against most of it the majority of the time (although I won't deny I have accounts for both.)  The public gushing of anything and everything on one's mind is just not my cup of tea.  I promise you, no one cares what you ate for breakfast.

And just as I jump off my soap box, I'm going to publicly declare my love.  Again.  No, I'm not talking about laundry soap; this time I'm talking about my favorite winter vegetable: butternut squash.  I fell in love with the gourd back in my baby food making days- it has a wonderfully mild and sweet flavor and smooth, creamy texture.  As the kids grew out of baby food I continued to look for butternut squash recipes that we could all enjoy as a family.  Kevin and the kids are not nearly as enamored with the squash as I am, but they will tolerate it every once in a while.

As winter vegetable season quickly comes to a close, I cleaned out Kroger's supply this past weekend in preparation for making my favorite recipe, Coconut Chicken Curry, which conveniently also happens to be a freezer-to-crock pot meal.  I figured I'd make a big batch and then know I've got several meals ready to go on busy nights.  I'll admit I don't care for curry at all, but when I cut down the amount by about 75% I realize it suits my taste buds.  Martha's recipe is huge, I've discovered; so this time I actually turned a triple batch into six halved batches.  I checked my receipt and did the math- each batch cost $6.37!  Pretty good for feeding a family of four!





No comments:

Post a Comment