Tuesday, December 24, 2013

This Year's Homemade Gift

This year's homemade Christmas gift got its start all the way back in August!  I had seen several articles on making your own vanilla and thought it was worth a try.  Plus, two summers ago one of the labs in my building was getting cleaned out for a remodel and boxes of amber bottles were up for grabs.  (Don't worry, the bottles went through the dishwasher twice.)

I was surprised to learn that pure vanilla extract is nothing more than vanilla beans, cheap vodka and time.  This is definitely not a project to start a week before Christmas!

This also made a perfect little project for Kari and I to work on together.  I split the beans and she dropped them in the bottle.  The embarrassing part now is when Kari publicly declares the need for more vodka whenever we're at the grocery store.





 I found the label printable here.
This is such an easy project I plan to make my own vanilla from here forward.  And, considering how much vanilla we go through in our house between granola and oatmeal pancakes, this actually should be a cost savings.

No comments:

Post a Comment