Saturday, April 16, 2011

More Sewing Projects

Kari and Bryce are enjoying a getaway to Glen Ellyn this weekend. Kevin and I are taking advantage of the time by...cleaning. How romantic.

It seems like it has consistently been cold, rainy and windy around here- just perfect to stay inside and work on some sewing projects.

This first project I have self-titled "The Forgiving Blanket". A dear friend of mine from high school, Anne, had a baby a couple months ago and I found what looked to be a really easy pseudo quilting tutorial. It was fun selecting the fabrics and contrasting thread.

I call it forgiving because of the nature of the quilting. Any small mistakes are easily lost in the rest of the blanket.

This was a ton of fun to put together.

I seemed to be on a positive roll with the whole blanket thing, so in preparation for Bryce's transition to his new school with Kari, I made a simple flannel blanket. No frills, just two pieces of flannel and some handmade bias tape. I'm still awful at making 90 degree corners, but it's only a blanket for daycare, so I let it go. He also got a matching pillow with some of the remaining fabric.

And, Bryce couldn't go to school without a bag to tote his blanket and pillow each week.

The bag is huge-Bryce could sit in it- but I didn't want the problem we currently have with Kari's bag- too small. I probably went a bit overboard, but it should be practical even after his daycare days end.

Isn't the fabric awesome? I wanted to give it some visual interest and masculinity beyond the fish and incorporating grommets seemed like a good way to do that. Never working with grommets before, I was quite pleased with how they turned out. I did realize after the first one that, technically, there is a front and back to the pieces, but anyone would be hard-pressed to notice unless up close.



Other things going on around here? Well, Bryce officially loves watermelon. As in rind and all. He had a small tantrum when we pulled the rind out of his mouth.

Going...

Going...

Gone!
Natalie got five baby ducks for their farm. They arrived in the mail. I guess this is not unusual, but for a city kid, it sounds really odd and borderline inhumane. Anyway, she had them at the daycare house in the bathtub and we had a chance to hold and pet the two week old fragile little guys. What a neat springtime/Easter opportunity!


No comments:

Post a Comment