Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Sewing in Uncharted Territory

I'm going to new places. I'm not doing it well, but I'm doing it. Several people have mentioned to me directly or to my mom that they had no idea I had this sewing-craftiness in me. I didn't either. I still refuse to call it crafty- I'm only recreating projects that real crafty people have dreamed up. I'm just good at following directions when there are good pictures associated with it.

So last night I decided I needed to try my hand at making my own bias tape. Bias tape!?! Not too long ago I wouldn't have even known what the stuff was, and now I'm trying to make it on my own? Crazy, you say. Indeed. I actually had to learn real sewing terms like selvedge, bias and cut edge. I found this super simple tutorial on how to make your own and how making your own can really personalize and jazz up any sewing project. Sounded good to me!

Now, I'm not the sharpest needle in the pin cushion, so even though it was an easy tutorial, I just about gave up last night. I think I further complicated the process because I used a striped-pattern fabric. I initially thought it would help because I could keep track of the bias based on the stripes, but it ended up confusing me more. Somehow, and without the help of my cutting mat, (a certain someone cleverly tucked it down the side of the recliner cushion) I made some cuts. Sewing the pieces together proved that I didn't do it exactly correct because the pattern of the lines aren't in the right order.

So, the project will continue for another night. All this work for a blanket for Bryce. For a little guy who is upstairs crying right now, miserable, because he can't breathe and is tired of being sick. Heading up to do what I can to soothe my baby.

No comments:

Post a Comment